GEMology

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Westlife!

I am back to listening to Westlife's songs. Yeah I used to really love their songs. The songs do bring back some memories...

-Daffodil Day (Organized by Singapore Cancer Society)
Went for the street sales of the Daffodil pins at Orchard Road. It's definitely not the ideal place for such street sales or any sort of flag day but the places we were permitted to go were limited and Orchard is also nearer to Newton, that makes reporting back more convenient. My perseverance level and determination today was not that high. Practically on the verge of giving up. I don't exactly enjoy such street sales or flag days seriously. I prefer direct services but charity organizations do need funds and it's one of the ways which I can help them.

I found this quote when I browsed through a copy of SALT magazine at Silras Home in Buangkok last year and thought that this is really interesting:

Fundraising is like making a marriage proposal... If the answer is no, keep trying!

I tried to bear this in mind the whole time when I was selling the Daffodil pins but it's hard.

-YouthforCauses 2007
Registering the various teams at the counter was pretty ok. Some of the teams have really interesting names too. One team has a Japanese name which is a meaningful phrase when translated. Quite a number has the word 'hope' in them. Like our 'Pillar of Hope' last year.

Looking back, it has been a year since our project was implemented. The journey had been long and tough, but rewarding and enjoyable. It's funny how four of us, different ages, from different backgrounds, different nationality, with different personalities managed to come together as a team because of our common secondary school and passion, eventually clinched the Best Volunteer Management Award and kept in touch till today.

Fate is just so amazing. I didn't regret joining the team, although I did spend quite a while considering if I was ready to take up the challenge and juggle my studies and the project. I went for the first flag day on my birthday last year together with 4J. Seems like the affinity had been there right from the start. It's been a great experience and I made many new friends. I've matured within the process and seen more of the outside world.

I am glad that JH, LW, Eileen and Jess are able to get the same great experience this year. Rainbow Connection, I have faith in you! Jiayou! Hope I will be able to fulfill my duties as a peer mentor.

- Pet Therapy Session at Man Fut Tong Nursing Home
Went for the session with Jason and Boon Kian after YFC on Saturday. It was definitely an eye-opener. The dogs were trained and suited to be therapist dogs. They are just so adorable! One's a cocker spaniel and the other, I don't know what breed but it has pointed ears, quite small sized and has brown fur. kawaii! I wasn't afraid of them then, partly cos' I was in jeans and covered shoes so their sniffing noses didn't terrorise me. They are friendly too. The cocker spaniel knows how to give a high five.

So the therapy session commenced with the elderly on wheelchairs interacting with the dogs. We were given the lease of the dogs at some point of time but I was at a loss of what to do with them. I don't have any biscuits for them so it's hard getting them to listen to my commands. After a while I went to talk to one of the elderly. Conversed with her in Hokkien. There's like a bonding for we have a common dialect. We shared alot about ourselves. Soon the session ended and we helped to wheel the elderly to wash their hands, after which they returned to their rooms. It's wonderful to see the elderly enjoying themselves while interacting with the dogs. And learning that the presence of the volunteers and therapist dogs had added joy to their day and brought smile to their faces.

This volunteering experience makes me more determined to pick up Cantonese and also to consider if I should volunteer at an old folks' home for my NYAA instead of a family service centre. I would like to render services at both if I had all the time in the world. I still can't decide. Oh well.

Yeah so my weekend has definitely granted me the break I needed, brought back the volunteering spirit in me and made my mood change for the better. I hate myself feeling emo and shedding what tasted like salt water. I like to smile and see people smile (:

i.e. BEING HAPPY EVERY DAY!

I have also realised that I am actually leading quite a sad life, studying, studying and nothing else but studying. I shall find more new and interesting events to add colours to my life. Don't want a colourless rainbow to be hanging over my head. I know I should do my tutorials too...

I am currently reading Torey Hayden's 'Murphy's Boy'. Although I have only read like one-fifth of the book, I can tell you that it's a good book that is worth reading ^^

That's all for now. Last week of Term 2. And then my very special day comes. May it be a stress-free and work-free day, filled with joy and happiness. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home